The Chilkoot trail – 5 days / 4 nights
- June 28 to July 2, 2016
- July 12 to July 16, 2016 – confirmed
- August 2 to August 6, 2016 – confirmed
- Other dates available on request
The Chilkoot trail is located between the Pacific Coast and the Yukon. The Chilkoot Pass is crossing the Coast Mountains, a vast chain of mountains, and the border between Alaska (USA) and the Yukon (Canada).
As we are walking in the steps of the pioneers, we are still feeling the value of their dreams.
- Rates are quoted in Canadian dollars
- $ 1690.00/person + tax ( 5%)
- Additional cost for single person: $ 100.00
- Departure from Skagway.
- Professional guide with GPS, satellite phone and anti bear spray
- Meals from the lunch of the first day to the lunch of the last day
- National park and camping fees
- Camping gear and sleeping bag
- Transport by train from Bennett to Skagway
- Government Tax (5 %)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Your travel / cancellation insurance
- Your health / repatriation insurance
- Your personal expenses
DAY 1: Meeting with the guide in Skagway. Briefing and checking the equipment. We register at the Chilkoot trail National Park Headquarter. Then, we start our hike on the Chilkoot trail to Canyon City, about 13 km from the start. We follow the Taiya River.
DAY 2: We are going to Sheep camp after visiting Canyon City. It was a village during the gold rush. Many vestiges are still there. Sheep Camp is located at the bottom of the pass. 7 km.
DAY 3: Today, it is the real quest of the trail : The Chilkoot Pass. After an early wake up, we will begin the climb. The steepest steps are just before the pass. We will stop for a rest at the shelter on the top. The weather here is often cold and windy. In the afternoon, we will begin the downhill. We will stop for the night at Happy Camp. 14 km.
DAY 4: We are going down to Lindenmann City. A City of wall tents that grew up to 4000 people. Now it is a ghost town. Beatiful landscape with the lake and the mountains and an interesting museum. We will stop for the night at Bare loon lake. 14 km.
DAY 5: It is our last day of hiking. We are going to Bennett Lake. 7 km. Bennett is also a ghost town. 2000 people stayed here. From here, we will go back by train to Skagway.
LEVEL: Moderate to difficult. You should be active and in good health. It can be compared with an alpine excursion. We have to carry a backpack. We will carry food and gear (About 15 kg). We have a training plan available on request.
CLIMAT: Yukon summer could be warm and usually dry but the weather is unpredictable. It is wise to have clothes for colder temperature as well as a waterproof jacket in case of rain.
SAFETY AND COMMUNICATIONS: Our guides are accredited with a wilderness medicine certificate. We have a satellite phone, a bear spray, a GPS, a bear proof barrel for our food.
- For safety reasons or national park request, we will take the permission to modify the itinerary.
- Every participant will be requested to sign a waiver of acceptation of risk.
- We cross the border between Canada and United States of America several times. You are responsible to have an up dated passport.
- The National Park limits the number of people into the park. It is very enjoyable but we have to book early.
EQUIPMENT: Comfortable hiking boots and backpack. Comfortable clothes with the possibility to cover arms and legs. Warm layer for the evening. Waterproof jacket. Hat, sun glasses, sun lotion, insect repellent. Optional : Walking stick, camera, binocular, flashlight. You will receive a detailed list when you register.
- Lodging and/or transportation from and/or to Whitehorse.
- Sightseeing trip to Juneau: With a fast catamaran, Fjord Express offers day trip. Breakfast and dinner are included and the sightseeing of Juneau and the Mendhall glacier. In the fjord, it is possible to see whales and seals. US $ 165.00
- Roundtrip via Haines 3 days/2 nights: From Skagway, we take the ferry to Haines. Night at the hotel. Next morning, we drive the scenic Haines Highway to Haines Junction. Night at the hotel. Hiking or flightseeing in Kluane National Park. In the evening, we drive the Alaska highway eastbound back to Whitehorse. $ 890.00
- Guided canoe-camping tour on the Yukon River: From 1 to several days.
- Sightseeing trip to Dawson: From 2 to 4 days.